Where do you buy a new Canon shutter?

My camera has almost reached its shutter life. Someone told me you can get a new shutter, but where? I have a Canon EOS 40d.

Best Answer

I would highly recommend having this service provided by an authorized Canon service Center.
I think it's about a $200 routine service.

after my 5 year old dropped and severly damaged the case on my EOS Digital rebel, I surgically disected the camera, Mostly just because I could.

After this excersise, I would strongly discourage anyone from performing this operation on a working camera.

Answer by ERIC on 06 Jan 2010 11:13:43

Call 1-800-OKCANON. The shutter costs about $50. That said, unless you happen to be a very highly trained technician with a nearly sterile environment to protect your imaging sensor, mirror, and mirrorbox, this is something that should probably be done by Canon. As it stands, Canon doesn't replace the shutters in their "refurbished cameras" unless it has actually failed because it takes several hours for trained technician to replace a shutter.

Out of curiosity, have you simply documented how much shooting you've done or did you use a utility to verify your shutter count? EOS Info ([URL Truncated] is the only thing I've found that let me check my shutter actuations on the 40D. For what it's worth, I've had the Canon 40D since October 2007. While it's entirely possible you are someone who shoots a lot mre than me, I'm only now reaching 15,000 shutter actuations on a camera (the 40D) designed for 100,000 shutter cycles.

Answer by Eclipse on 06 Jan 2010 02:38:35

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment