Off-brand or used Sony flash?

So I have a choice to make... I was shopping for a new flash and it comes down to 2 choices:
1) Used Sony HVL-F36AM flash @$100 used
[URL Truncated]
pros: Sony brand flash (more reliable)
cons: weaker, no LCD, no swivel, no manual mode (important for me), used, no warranty

2) New Opteka EF600 @ $105 new
[URL Truncated]
pros: stronger, manual mode, LCD, swivel, new, warranty
cons: Opteka quality?

basically I'm choosing between a new flash by some 3rd party that has more features or a used Sony flash with very little features... the $5 difference in price doesn't matter... it seems that the Opteka flash has so many more pros than the Sony flash, but the one con of Sony vs Opteka is pretty huge!!! Which one do you think I should get? I've had 3rd party lenses and they've done well for me (Tamron and Sigma) but I keep reading bad things about 3rd party flashes failing... anyone have any input on this? thanks!

Best Answer

My opinion? Go with the Opteka. If you get a couple of years use from it you can be saving for the latest from Sony.

An alternative would be the Vivitar 285HV but you'd need an adapter to mount it on your Sony hotshoe.

Answer by Edwin on 02 Jan 2010 04:24:42

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment