Is a Leica camera really worth the money?

over a cannon or nikon

Best Answer

A good photographer will make great photos regardless of the camera. Camera is just a tool and the photographs are always made by the person behind the camera.

However for me - YES ! Leica is really worth the money. It's more of a matter of passion and love than technology. I feel great even when I hold a Leica M7 in my hands (even before I take a photograph). Though I feel that Leica Digital rangefinders just didn't make it though S series is good.
Feelings apart, Leica (rangefinders) is a very quiet camera and small form factor makes it easy to use on streets. The optics are the best part in it. They are sharp and distortion free.

In terms of use, I use Nikon more than Leica. Nikon provides me better control and smooth work flow. I get good optics when I use some specific Nikkors or Zeiss lenses (comparable to Leica). The technological advances are helpful especially with things like CLS, Metering modes choice of accessories etc..

Answer by SgtPepper on 01 Jan 2010 08:45:10

It's like a Rolls Royce®..

Look at this one [URL Truncated]

Answer by Pooky on 01 Jan 2010 09:37:54

Yes but it doesn't mean you'll take National Geographic worthy shots constantly with it. Picture quality is almost totally dependent on the photographer. The camera, no matter how expensive it may be, is just a tool.

Answer by keerok on 02 Jan 2010 12:28:05

First, if someone has certain money limits then there are certain Nikon and Canon cameras that are the better option.

For under $3,000 someone can buy a high quality full frame Nikon D700 (about $2400) or a
Canon 5D Mark II (about $2700). Leica makes superb cameras but their price range is to a small elite segment crowd that can afford their equipment.

For me, my money would be better spent spending under $3,000 on a camera with a 35mm sized sensor in it.

My 2 cents.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 02 Jan 2010 09:30:50

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment