Memory for the Canon Rebel T1i?

I've been shopping around for a good starter SLR camera for a long time now. I've never really used one outside of hours of playing with the display models at stores and I've already learned a great deal about it. It seems a bit more user friendly than some of the other ones I was considering. I've known a few people who have one/have used one and they've sung praises about it.

Anyway, once I find a place that has it in stock I'm going to get it....but I need a memory card. I'm used to buying just SDHC's for my other Digital cameras...and I know this one can take SDHC...but I've also heard that Compact Flash is better for SLR's? Aside from the obvious, what are the differences between SD cards and Compact Flash cards? I know when SD really hit the market, Compact Flash kind of struggled but you can still find them. Also, at 15MP...what size memory card would you recommend? Keep in mind I am still on a budget at the moment (and this is pushing it a bit as it is) and I can always expand later.

Also any input

You don't have a choice when it comes to that camera. Either it takes SD card or a CF card (but there is an adepter that allows the usage of SD card in a camera that takes CF card only). There are only a few cameras that has dual slots.

Usually the more expensive models take CF card, I understand. They're pretty tough.

Answer by Pooky on 29 Dec 2009 10:29:41
Best Answer

The T1i only takes SD/SDHC cards...so the differences for you are moot.
I'd recommend getting any SDHC card rated class 6 or above, simply for the fact that the camera shoots video.
Most of the download speeds you see on the cards reference how fast the card can download photos/videos to your cpu. So if you want to download photos QUICK, get a 30mps card. If you don't mind hooking it up and waiting a bit, don't shell out the extra cash.
As far as size it all depends. If you shoot RAW photos, the T1i produces HUGE RAW images that eat memory QUICK. So an 8 GB card will hold roughly 300 some odd photos.
But if you shoot JPEG only at MAX quality then you will be looking closer to 800-900 photos on an 8 GB card.

Answer by auwes on 29 Dec 2009 10:33:47

For the T1i I'd recommend a fast class 6 SDHC card. Something like the Sandisk Extreme III (30MB/sec). 4GB should be ok for general day to day use, but you might find 8GB to be a good buy, especially if you shoot RAW+Jpeg or video.

In the link below, you can see write speed tests for the XTi (450D). They haven't tested the T1i as yet, however they might be similar or the T1i might even provide better performance. You can see how not all Class 6 cards are the same. Some are MUCH slower. The Sandisk Extreme (or Extreme III) has always been a popular card, very reliable and a fast performer...
[URL Truncated]

Don't forget to format your Brand New card...

Answer by Petra_au on 29 Dec 2009 11:06:05

The camera itself costs $800 bucks in the kit so I'm not sure how much of a budget your really on with regards to the cards. But if that really is the case I'd recommend just using your old SD cards for now. If it's at least a 1gig, and even better if you have a couple then that will buy you some time. Then you'll know more of what your needs are anyway.

Answer by Jason C.K. on 30 Dec 2009 12:29:15

Below I listed a link to 8GB and 16GB SDHC cards along with prices, there are some good prices. I was looking at the list and there was a Lexar 8 GB 60x for $15, 8GB Sandisk Ultra card for $22, and a SanDisk 16GB Ultra card for $40.

Good luck.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 30 Dec 2009 01:29:10

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment